There are several reasons why Outlook keeps prompting for a password:
- Outlook is configured to prompt for credentials
- Incorrect Outlook password stored by the Credential Manager
- Outlook profile is corrupt
- Bad network connection
- Antivirus software causing issues
1: When Outlook is configured to prompt for credentials
To get rid of the password prompt problem, you need to disable this setting.
- Open Outlook, go to File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Select the Exchange account and click the Change button.
- Click More Settings in the new dialogue box.
- In the Security tab of the Microsoft Exchange dialogue box, uncheck Always prompt for credentials
2: Remove stored credentials from Credential Manager
- In Control Panel, click on Credential Manager.
- Look for the credential sets that have Outlook in the name.
- Expand the set and click on Remove from Vault.
- Repeat the steps for all credential sets that have Outlook in the name.
3: Outlook Profile is corrupt
Step 1: Open Control Panel, look for Mail and click on it.
Step 2: A Mail Setup – Outlook box will appear, click on the Show profiles button.
Step 3: Now, select Outlook from the profile and click on the Add button to add a new Outlook profile.
Step 4: Add a profile name and click OK.
Step 5: In this step, set your Name, email address and password and click the Next button.
Step 6: Congratulations! Your new profile is ready. Click Finish and proceed to the final step.
Step 7: Now, select the new profile, click Always use this profile and select the new profile from the drop-down list. Click Apply and OK.
4: Bad network connection
The slow or unstable network can lead to the loss of connection to the mail server due to which every time you are trying to connect, it is asking for credentials. To solve this issue, you can try switching to a better connectivity environment and see if it solves your problem.
5: Antivirus programs cause Outlook errors
The Antivirus program that you have installed in your system may be interfering with Outlook which could be the cause for this Outlook password prompt issue. In this case, you can try disabling the antivirus and see if it solves your problem.
Your issue should now be fixed, Outlook will no more prompt for a password.
If you are still experiencing issues with your outlook asking for a password, please call the Medihost Support team on 1300 566 050 or contact us via email on firstname.lastname@example.org